Saturday, April 23, 2011

Curiosities at the Hospital

I am continually fascinated by just how fat Americans are able to become.

Like, people can get so fat, that Medicine had to come up with a word for the extra gut that hangs down and makes a fold over your lower torso--that 'body part' is called a pannus.  I'm pretty sure that word didn't exist 100 years ago, because No One Was That Fat.

I recently discovered that our equipment room on the Urology floor has a bin full of "retracted penis pouches".  Now, I am a doctor, training in Urology, but even I had to read the package insert to figure out what the heck these were.



I'll spare you the gory details, but it's basically a urine collection device that can be used on a man who is so fat, that his fat has actually mounded up and completely obscured his man-parts.  (This problem is so common that someone actually had to invent a device to address it...?!?!?!)

All I'm saying is, if you are So Fat that your fat starts engulfing other parts of your body--such that they cannot be seen or recognized any longer--you need to put down the chicken strips, the french fries dipped in mayonnaise, and your bucket of Mountain Dew and go for a walk.

PS.  Yes, the 'retracted penis pouches' are next to the 'large scrotal supports'.  Let me just say that being a Urologist is a very *interesting* job, and there is really no limit to how large a scrotum can become.

1 comment:

  1. This is the most educational blog post I've read in a long time.

    ReplyDelete