Monday, May 31, 2010
Family Recipe - Lasagna
Matt and I try hard to eat in a way that is healthy and affordable. One way we do this is by making a big batch of something over the weekend, to box up into individual servings for lunch for the work-week.
I'm the more confident chef, but Matt is really coming into his own in the kitchen these days.
As I prepare to start my surgical residency, I know that I won't be able to captain our cooking adventures to the same extent that I used to. As such, I'm putting together a recipe series of all of our 'go-to' family meals for Matt to refer to when he becomes Kitchen Captain.
LLOYD LAWLESS VEGETARIAN LASAGNA
1 package no-bake lasagna noodles (we like the whole-wheat ones from Target)
1 package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 container ricotta cheese (10-15 oz is fine)
1 package shredded mozzarella cheese (we like the 2% milk kind)
2 28-oz jars pasta sauce (nothing too chunky -- we use Prego)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. Mix ricotta cheese, drained spinach, egg, and 1/2 package of shredded mozzarella
3. In a glass 9x13" baking dish, cover bottom of dish with sauce
4. Layer first layer of noodles across baking dish
5. Spoon 1/3 of ricotta-spinach mixture over noodles
6. Spoon 1/4 of remaining sauce over ricotta layer
7. Repeat this layer process 2 more times, using up all of the ricotta-spinach mixture
8. Place final layer of noodles on top of lasagna
9. Cover final layer of noodles with remainder of sauce and remaining 1/2 package of mozzarella
10. Cover lasagna with foil
11. Bake lasagna for 45 mins; remove foil and resume baking for 10 additional minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly
Allow to cool before cutting or serving.