Matt and I eat a lot of fresh baby spinach...and we love buying it the big, 2-lb plastic clamshell at Costco (so cheap!)...but, sometimes we run into trouble finishing it all before it spoils.
This easy recipe is a great one for using up that extra spinach (and you can buy the garbanzos at Costco too!).
GARBANZOS WITH SPINACH AND RICE
1.5 c brown rice
6-oz fresh baby spinach
2 15-oz cans garbanzo beans, drained
1 medium onion
3 tbs olive oil
2 c water
- Cook rice according to package instructions
- Dice onion and saute in olive oil over medium heat in large saute pan
- Once onion is softened/translucent, add garbanzos to saute pan. Add water. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- When garbanzos are nearly done, add spinach to saute pan and recover. Steam spinach for ~5 mins.
- Remove garbanzos from heat and drain excess water.
- Add rice to garbanzos and spinach.
- Season with whatever you have on-hand: salt, pepper, basil, oregano, curry, paprika, etc.
*Note: this time we used kale rather than spinach...it doesn't look at pretty, but it's what we had in the fridge.