Matt and I eat a lot of salads, but sometimes we run into trouble keeping enough fresh greens in the house...seems like we always buy too little and run out or too much and it goes bad. This soup is a good way to get the good stuff without relying on fresh greens.
AUNT VERONICA'S SPINACH & TORTELLINI SOUP
1 10-oz package frozen spinach (thawed or frozen is okay)
1 package three-cheese tortellini
1 small onion
1 32-oz container vegetable broth
feta cheese to garnish
- Bring vegetable broth + 32oz water to rolling boil in large stock pot
- Dice onion and add to boiling broth
- Add spinach to broth/water (It is fine to add the spinach when it is still frozen...we usually do because who has the foresight to plan ahead and defrost?)
- Once spinach is unfrozen and water has returned to rolling boil, add tortellini and cook according to package instructions
- Once tortellini is cooked, remove stock pot from heat and add 5-10 ice cubes to stop further cooking (You don't want soggy tortellini)
- Season to your taste with salt, garlic, oregano, basil, etc...whatever you have on-hand is good!
PS. We have to credit our good friend, Veronica, with the origins of this delicious soup.